The benefits of coloring pages:
1) Self expression - coloring on a blank "canvas" (notepad), is a way for kids and adults alike to express themselves. You can inform a lot about the method an individual is feeling by the images that they draw, the colors that they use, and so on. It is important to give kids a chance to express themselves, and not all kids express themselves through words and through writing, lots of use art.
2) Color acknowledgment
3) Treatment - for many people (myself consisted of) coloring is healing. No matter whether it's scribbling, or coloring the "best picture ever", coloring can be a way to de-stress, after a busy early morning of school work, wind down, and relax, after the tensions of a day at school or work.
4) Grip/Control - lots of kids discover how to hold a pencil, pen, marker, or colored pencil, by very first knowing how to hold a crayon. The little muscles needed for penmanship later begin to be developed while coloring.
6) Building motor abilities
7) Focus - Focusing on a single task for a length of time is essential for coloring and for all sorts of things throughout one's life.
8) Borders - Another thing that kids learn from coloring pages, with preprinted images on them, is how to accept boundaries. While a toddler or preschooler might doodle all over a coloring sheet, with no respect for the boundaries (lines on the coloring page), as the child grows older, they will begin to respect those lines, and make an effort to color between them. While I encourage blank paper coloring for free expression as frequently as possible, for lots of young children pre-printed coloring pages are their very first direct exposure to printed boundaries. This early direct exposure to boundaries in print, will be a big aid when handwriting time happens, and the child needs to respect the boundaries of the preprinted handwriting lines on the paper.
9) Milestone - This is the last little "value" of coloring that I will discuss in the meantime, and that is that coloring in the lines is a milestone, a sense of achievement, the initial step towards a successful academic profession for lots of kids. For lots of kids coloring in the lines is just as crucial as counting to 10, counting to 100, reciting the alphabet, discovering the multiplication facts, and so forth. It's a milestone that states "yes I can" do whatever I come across, and it supplies kids with pride, a sense of self worth, and helps them to feel accepted in a society that is frequently fast to judge, and slow to respond. This sense of achievement will carry them through life, and help them not to quit so quickly, when something brand-new occurs.
Back To Greyhound Coloring Pages