The advantages of coloring pages:
1) Self expression - coloring on a blank "canvas" (piece of paper), is a method for children and adults alike to express themselves. You can inform a lot about the method a person is feeling by the images that they draw, the colors that they use, and so on. It is essential to offer children a chance to express themselves, and not all children express themselves through words and through writing, lots of use art.
2) Color acknowledgment
3) Therapy - for many individuals (myself included) coloring is healing. No matter whether it's doodling, or coloring the "finest picture ever", coloring can be a method to de-stress, after a busy early morning of school work, wind down, and calm down, after the stresses of a day at school or work.
4) Grip/Control - lots of children discover how to hold a pencil, pen, marker, or colored pencil, by first knowing how to hold a crayon. The small muscles required for penmanship later on begin to be developed while coloring.
6) Building motor abilities
7) Focus - Focusing on a single job for a length of time is essential for coloring and for all sorts of things throughout one's life.
8) Limits - Another thing that children learn from coloring pages, with preprinted images on them, is how to accept limits. While a young child or preschooler may doodle all over a coloring sheet, without any respect for the limits (lines on the coloring page), as the child grows older, they will begin to respect those lines, and make an effort to color in between them. While I encourage blank paper coloring for free expression as often as possible, for lots of preschoolers pre-printed coloring pages are their first exposure to printed limits. This early exposure to limits in print, will be a big aid when handwriting time happens, and the child has to respect the limits of the preprinted handwriting lines on the paper.
9) Milestone - This is the last little "significance" of coloring that I will point out for now, which is that coloring in the lines is a turning point, a sense of achievement, the primary step towards a successful scholastic career for lots of children. For lots of children coloring in the lines is simply as important as counting to 10, counting to 100, reciting the alphabet, learning the multiplication facts, and so forth. It's a turning point that says "yes I can" do whatever I encounter, and it supplies children with pride, a sense of self worth, and assists them to feel accepted in a society that is often fast to judge, and slow to react. This sense of achievement will carry them through life, and help them not to give up so quickly, when something new comes along.
Back To Guppy Coloring Pages