The benefits of coloring pages:
1) Self expression - coloring on a blank "canvas" (notepad), is a method for kids and adults alike to express themselves. You can inform a lot about the method a person is feeling by the images that they draw, the colors that they use, etc. It is very important to offer kids a chance to express themselves, and not all kids express themselves through words and through writing, lots of use art.
2) Color recognition
3) Therapy - for many people (myself included) coloring is healing. No matter whether it's scribbling, or coloring the "best picture ever", coloring can be a method to de-stress, after a busy morning of school work, wind down, and calm down, after the tensions of a day at school or work.
4) Grip/Control - lots of kids learn how to hold a pencil, pen, marker, or colored pencil, by first learning how to hold a crayon. The small muscles required for penmanship later start to be developed while coloring.
6) Structure motor skills
7) Focus - Paying attention to a single job for a length of time is necessary for coloring and for all sorts of things throughout one's life.
8) Limits - Another thing that kids gain from coloring pages, with preprinted images on them, is how to accept limits. While a toddler or preschooler might doodle all over a coloring sheet, with no respect for the limits (lines on the coloring page), as the child gets older, they will start to appreciate those lines, and make an effort to color between them. While I motivate blank paper coloring totally free expression as often as possible, for lots of young children pre-printed coloring pages are their first direct exposure to printed limits. This early direct exposure to limits in print, will be a substantial help when handwriting time happens, and the child needs to appreciate the limits of the preprinted handwriting lines on the paper.
9) Turning point - This is the last little "value" of coloring that I will discuss for now, and that is that coloring in the lines is a milestone, a sense of accomplishment, the initial step towards an effective academic career for lots of kids. For lots of kids coloring in the lines is simply as crucial as counting to 10, counting to 100, reciting the alphabet, finding out the multiplication truths, and so forth. It's a milestone that states "yes I can" do whatever I stumble upon, and it supplies kids with pride, a sense of self worth, and assists them to feel accepted in a society that is often quick to judge, and slow to react. This sense of accomplishment will carry them through life, and assist them not to give up so easily, when something new occurs.
Back To Airplane Coloring Pages