The benefits of coloring pages:
1) Self expression - coloring on a blank "canvas" (piece of paper), is a method for children and adults alike to reveal themselves. You can tell a lot about the method a person is feeling by the images that they draw, the colors that they use, etc. It is very important to offer children an opportunity to reveal themselves, and not all children reveal themselves through words and through writing, lots of usage art.
2) Color acknowledgment
3) Treatment - for lots of people (myself included) coloring is healing. Regardless of whether it's scribbling, or coloring the "best image ever", coloring can be a method to de-stress, after a hectic morning of school work, unwind, and calm down, after the tensions of a day at school or work.
4) Grip/Control - lots of children discover how to hold a pencil, pen, marker, or colored pencil, by first knowing how to hold a crayon. The small muscles required for penmanship later on begin to be developed while coloring.
6) Building motor skills
7) Focus - Taking note of a single task for a length of time is needed for coloring and for all sorts of things throughout one's life.
8) Limits - Another thing that children gain from coloring pages, with preprinted pictures on them, is how to accept limits. While a young child or preschooler might doodle all over a coloring sheet, without any regard for the limits (lines on the coloring page), as the child ages, they will begin to respect those lines, and make an effort to color in between them. While I motivate blank paper coloring totally free expression as typically as possible, for lots of preschoolers pre-printed coloring pages are their first direct exposure to printed limits. This early direct exposure to limits in print, will be a big aid when handwriting time happens, and the child needs to respect the limits of the preprinted handwriting lines on the paper.
9) Milestone - This is the last little "significance" of coloring that I will discuss for now, which is that coloring in the lines is a milestone, a sense of accomplishment, the primary step towards a successful academic career for lots of children. For lots of children coloring in the lines is just as essential as counting to 10, counting to 100, reciting the alphabet, learning the multiplication truths, and so forth. It's a milestone that states "yes I can" do whatever I discover, and it provides children with pride, a sense of self worth, and assists them to feel accepted in a society that is typically quick to judge, and slow to react. This sense of accomplishment will carry them through life, and assist them not to quit so quickly, when something brand-new occurs.
Back To Boat Coloring Pages